Monday 27 August 2007

Cupcakes and memories....

This morning I made coffee Cupcakes! Since my last attempt I have done a bit of research. In the UK we call a cupcake a 'fairy cake' or 'bun'. and We don't decorate them quite as elaborate as their American cousins.

My mum used to make 'buns' all the time for Birthdays, Christmas or any time we were craving something sweet. I have many fond memories of these little buns .....decorated with glace royal icing with silver balls, sugared diamonds in pretty patterns, and the bun dipped upside down in hundreds and thousands (sprinkles)! My mum was an avid baker, she too loved to spend many hour in the kitchen learning all she could, over the years mum has collected many decorating and recipe books. When I moved house earlier this year I took the books with me, last night I was up till 3.30 am reading them! The books are from 1979 - 80s, yes I am a 80s child! They are full of tried and tested recipes and beautiful blissful images. The centre folds are full of typical 70s party tables complete with over decorated iced cakes! ha,ha. I was drooling and indulging in the past I nearly started baking there and then at 3.00am.........

One of the books is from the company who produce flour 'Be-Ro'. Again this book has a pretty 70s lady on the front in her kitchen whipping up some confectionery dream.... This book contains the recipe I used to make my new updated buns/cupcakes. At some point I hope to share these images with you........

Here is the recipe for Coffee Cupcakes/fairy cakes......

4 oz Margarine/Butter

4 oz Sugar

6 oz Self Raising Flour

2 Eggs

1 & half tsp Coffee

If you would like to convert these measurement to cups or grams etc, here is a fantastic converter at 'Diana's Deserts'

1. Cream the butter and sugar until pale in colour and fluffy.
2. Add Egg and tbsp Flour. Beat well. Add second egg and another spoon of flour (stops Egg curdling) Beat until combined
3. Dissolve coffee in just enough hot water for coffee to dissolve. Let cool.
4. Add coffee to egg mix, beat in.
5. On slow speed fold in flour to egg mixture. Adding in stages until well combined.
6. Spoon into cases half full. Bake in a moderate oven. 170-180 C. 20-25 mins.

















I am quite pleased with the way these cupcakes turned out........so are my family! I think this is a basic cupcake recipe that can be fine tuned into a more elaborate cake using advanced flavours and designs, the mixture is firm enough to hold nuts choc chips etc.....

To complete the cupcake I made Coffee Butter cream
2 oz Margarine
6 oz Icing (powdered) Sugar
2 tsp Spoon Coffee - dissolved in small amount hot water

1. Cream margarine, add icing sugar beat slowly until combined
2. Add cooled coffee, add remaining icing sugar beat well until stiff consistency. Add more icing if too soft.
3. Pipe using a icing nozzle of choice. Add sieved coco powder to top.

The Be-Ro website has many great recipes. Somewhat different to the old book I own but still as good. here is the link


I hope to improve my cupcake decorating techniques in the future! and plan on bringing more try outs to the blog, I might leave baking for a while and get back to my Halloween stitching that's waiting for me.

I am making door hanging pillows, I really want to complete them in time for fall so until next time................I hope you like the recipe, let me know if you try it, I would love to hear how you used it.
See you soon
Priscilla x

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes loos superb! they look especially pretty with the very professional frosting job you have done on top!

Anonymous said...

that was meant to say "look" and not "loos"! hahaha!

Unknown said...

Those look delicious! You are an expert on these arent you? Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Oh boy!! Those cupcakes look amazing - love the frosting! Great job Priscilla :o)

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

Oh my thos look amazing! I love coffee. I wish I could fly on over and have one with you. Id organize your kitchen hehe. Id have to check out your chocolate stash!I love that too. Never had any real from another country. Bet it is different than ours.Great to meet you.

Unknown said...

Hi Priscilla, just wanted to let you know that I tagged you for the name game. Come by and check it out.

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

Dena said...

These look so delicious! I'm definately going to try these for a lovely fall treat for my family :)

Dena

Vee said...

Robin sent me over...this recipe looks great. The cake portion doesn't sound as sweet...perhaps I can get away with making them even if we are dieting. Dieting...such a nasty word.

Books I have read and enjoyed

I am counting down..