Sunday 5 April 2009

Knitting !!! learning a new craft...



Hi everyone, I have been such a bad blogger of late. Its so long since my last post.....I just wanted to drop in and let you know I am still around before I go away for two weeks on the 15th April to Luxor Egypt!!! I cant wait.... we have been before but it never gets old!

Does anyone remember me saying I wanted to learn to knit? Last year I got a few books and tried to learn myself but it didn't happen, this year I am doing a lot better! lol

I have a friend who loves to knit and she offered to teach me and another lady, so we have met up for tea, nibbles lots of chatter and some knitting! Joan gave me some needles as she has many spare and a small ball of wool and we began with the knit stitch. I have done basic knitting as a child with my grandma, but its a long time ago.

Another thing which I didn't have last year was YOU TUBE. It has many beginner videos of knitting, how to cast on, knit, purl, and many more http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=knitting&aq=f go check out the links if you fancy learning too!


So armed with my new found skill and a want to create anything! lol I went to my local wool shop and came home with these gorgeous wools........ oh and some more needles!



Enjoy the knitting basics video...

If you already knit or want some amazing FREE PATTERNS visit this web site!http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php

I am going to begin with this dishcloth pattern to practice the stitches, Knit and Purl. I have noticed dish cloths seem to be the simpler projects! Although I think

I am going to practice the stitches some more before I start the cloth.


and a link to many, many more dish cloths! http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/dishcloths.php

And here is my knitting! With my fav teddy 'Toffee'. All knit stitches, I said it would have to be a coaster, but I may try make it into a mobile phone pouch.
Hope you all have a wonderful week, see you again soon!
Priscilla x

8 comments:

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

I'm hoping to learn to knit soon so thank you for the links to those helpful tutorials.

Victoria xx

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME, DEARIE.

You Brit bloggers tend to go AWOL...tsk tsk...*laff*

Gosh, I don't think I could knit. It looks so difficult! But seeing that little bat pattern makes me want to learn! Good for you for learning a new skill!!!

Enjoy your trip!!!

xashee's corner said...

i saw your comment on Penniwig's blog and thought i would have a look at the bat! you did an GREAT job with it!! :) and so i scroll down your blog and see your faux cake! WOW what a BEAUTY! then i scroll some more and (THUD! i just fell off my chair) i see your friend's mum's cake and WOWZERS that is an AWESOME paint job on that cake!! i am blown away!! you got talent! :) Thank you so very much for sharing such INCREDIBLE inspiration! i am SURE to be back soon and have another visit, i LIKE it here! hehe Have a BEAUTIFUL day!! :)

white o'morn cottage said...

Well done! I just learned how to crochet on youtube. It's fab for learning anything. I love that garter stitch you are using. I made loads of thema and stitched them together to make a lap blanket. Love it. You go girl!

Tammy said...

Hi girl! OK, I haven't stitched that Halloween piece yet. I just put up a pic of what my next project might be! The orange is the mat-they do great mats for their projects at Shepherd's Bush. Now for your stuff: OMG, that bat dishcloth is FABU-love that. Congrats to you for sticking to learning the knitting. I took a class once but it didn't "take", lol. I need to go back and re-visit the knitting bug I think.

Linda said...

Oh, you lucky girl! You know I've always longed to visit Egypt...bring back lots of pictures...please.
Your knitting group sounds like fun and I like your first knit...it would be neat if you could turn it into a phone case. I knit a little too...the nice thing about knitting you can take it with and work on it in free moments....on to the dishcloths:), which looks like a fun project..
Have the best trip...hello to your mum and dad...are they going to Egypt too...hugs, Linda

joyh82 said...

Wow, your doing great. I am reading The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood right now. About a bunch of ladies who are knitters or are learning to knit.

Anonymous said...

Happy knitting Priscilla. Have a wonderful time in Luxor ~ I have always longed to see the pyramids!

Happy Easter,

Marie x

Books I have read and enjoyed

I am counting down..