Saturday 2 February 2008

Wizard Birthday Cake, Harry Potter,Panto


Have you enjoyed the harry potter books and films? Did you ever think about having a wizard theme cake? My friend has...........

On feb the 18th I am in a pantomime, I play the Frog Prince and the panto is called 'Trouble In Panto Land', Many of the characters are themed on those in Harry Potter. One of the members is having a birthday on the 7th Feb and has asked me to make his cake....... he plays the 'Evil Wizard' - also known as (He Who's Name No one Can Remember) I asked what he would like on his cake thinking maybe gardening or some other hobby, he said he enjoys drama, Harry Potter and plays a wizard in the play...... so something themed like that! My mind went Whhooo hooo. As you know I love to get creative making cakes, my mind has gone mad and I have come up with a design for his cake.
Here is a rough sketch, I always do this before I start.....
I began to think of a wizards desk,with hat, spells and plans, wands, parchment, all with an aged rustic appeal. No bright colours I guess you could call it 'Antique'.......... think 'Harry Potter' - Dumbledore.

I have made the Wizard hat, I was going off the 'Sorting Hat' in the first Harry Potter, with age and character. I thought it would be good to share with you the stages of the cake.....and it began with this hat.

Here is the finished hat it stands about 5 inch tall..........
Here is the sugar model hat from another angle, I finished adding the dust colours today,many shades of brown! ha,ha. I really wanted it to look old like the one in the film........
I took photos of the hat been made..........so here is a little 'How To'
I have to admit this stage is not particulary attractive! It begins with a cone shape....
A cookie cutter makes the hat brim, a few patches and stitches adds to the age. Sponge keeps the paste in place until it dries and sets.

Each layer was added separetly, with a few creases, I tried to place the creases so that the hat looks to have features a bit like the sorting hat..........


I am also working on Harrys wand........I will show that next time, I hope you enjoyed reading a bit about cake decorating,

I have also been tagged by Linda - over at Somewhere in Time to mention 'Why its great to be me....I have A warm loving family, I enjoy each brand new day, I look forward to new opportunities, I am thankful to have a creative nature, I believe I also help others any way I can and I am thankful I have this trait. I have time to enjoy my crafts and the world around me, I have many fond memories.Nature is all around me and I watch it every day.......There are many things why I am pleased to be me.... and I thank linda for giving me the chance to acknowledge them..........

I now tag - Bitter Sweet Punkin

See you again soon,

Priscilla x

9 comments:

Linda said...

Priscilla, the Wizard hat is amazing. You have a magic touch. I'm looking forward to the wand and seeing the cake when it is finished.

It is great to be you! You have many wonderful attributes with a rich and full life. Thank you for sharing. Hugs, Linda

kathyann said...

Priscilla your cake decorating skills are just fantastic ,I love the wizards hat and can't wait to see the finished cake!love from Kathyann and the girls

BittersweetPunkin said...

That is so neat! You are very talented...my cakes come in 2 shapes...round or square!! LOL

Thanks for the TAG!
Hugs,
Robin

Michelle said...

Priscill that is wonderful, how clever of you!!
PLease hurry up and do the rest..I cant wait!
Hugs Michelle
xx

Laume said...

AWESOME cake. So the only question left is, which house did the cake sort your friend into?

ohiofarmgirl said...

You are so creative...love seeing your work. Diantha

Anonymous said...

Oh Priscilla, how creative! I think that the wizard's hat is terrific and I look forward to seeing the finished cake.

Marie x

cd&m said...

Wonderful hat, just brilliant! Good luck with the panto.

Anonymous said...

hi! i just recently stumbled upon your blog and it's so lovely! i am so in love with that cake you made. it's perfect! and the hat is amazingly crafted. good job!

Books I have read and enjoyed

I am counting down..